The Biennial of Drawing (organized by OSTEN Skopje, North Macedonia) nurtures contemporary drawing in its widest definition which is open to everything that is new and much more comprehensive than the traditional, giving preference to works that break old and worn-out art matrices, works that have a specific authorial mark or suggest an attempt to go beyond the established academic rules, in the free space of creation, but include linearity as the dominant means of expression. The Biennial opens the possibility of moving the conventional boundaries, both in terms of the use of drawing techniques and materials, as well as in terms of creative freedom of expression. Therefore - feel free to submit your most innovative and creative works, regardless of form, technique or medium.
Participation is open to artists (18+) as individuals or groups (up to 5 artists), while:
CONDITIONS for PARTICIPATION
- Artists themselves decide upon the type, theme, technique/media and size of the works
- The artists involved in group projects, can also apply individually
- The artwork by the group will be considered as one work - a joint artistic work by the group.
(up to 31 May 2022
- Submit the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM along with a short bio and portrait photo (for promotional activities of the Biennial)
- Apply with up to five (5) artworks created between 2019-2022 (the works that are consisting of more parts – diptych, triptych, polyptych – will be consider as one work).
- SUBMIT DIGITAL IMAGES of the artworks (an entire image of the works is mandatory + details optionally) in .jpg .png or .tiff format (300dpi), maximum 2MB.
* Note: Please be accurate with the images format for they will be used for the Biennial catalog, if selected.
SELECTED ARTISTS will be informed via e-mail to send their ORIGINAL WORKS by postal mail to the OSTEN address in Skopje, North Macedonia (more details in the ‘Submission of Works’ section)
ALL SUBMITTED ARTWORKS by the AWARDED ARTISTS shall remain within the collection of OSTEN Museum of Drawing.
The other PARTICIPANTS' artworks can be returned on request (on their own expense), or they can be donated to the OSTEN Collection (Certificates for donation will be provided).
By submitting of the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM, the artist agrees the Organizer to use, exhibit, study and publish his/her artworks for the needs of the OSTEN BIENNIAL of DRAWING and OSTEN Museum of Drawing.
Deadline for ONLINE SUBMISSION – 31 May 2022
Deadline for SELECTION RESULTS – 30 June 2022
Deadline for SUBMISSION of WORKS via postal mail – 15 August 2022 (for the SELECTED ARTISTS only)
The participation fee for the OSTEN BIENNIAL of DRAWING Skopje 2022 is: for INDIVIDUALS - 50 EUR
| for GROUPS - 90 EUR
Participation fee can be made:
- Via the LINKS BELOW
- Via the BANK TRANSFER to the OSTEN ART Skopje account:
Beneficiary: OSTEN ART SKOPJE | Address: NIKOLA KQUSEV BR.16 CENTAR, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Bank details: IBAN: MK07210701001011812 | SWIFT/BIC: TUTNMK22
Bank address: NLB A.D. SKOPJE, Mother Theresa 1, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
* Note: OSTEN ART should receive 50 EUR / 90 EUR Net amount. Please be aware that additional costs (bank & transfer fees) can apply, and they should be covered by the participant.
SUBMISSION of ARTWORKS
SELECTED ARTISTS should send their online submitted artworks IN ORIGINAL* via postal mail to the address:
OSTEN BIENNIAL OF DRAWING
8. Udarna Brigada 2, 1000 Skopje
* Works that are not identical with the images submitted online - will be rejected.
- Transport of the works is fully organized by the artists (including the expenses)
- Organizer takes no responsibility in case of works’ damage or lost
- On the back side of each work must be written: Artist’s Name & Surname, title, year of creation, technique/media & size of the works (according to the online application form)
- Works should be sent unframed and appropriate packed according to their dimensions: in cardboard package with reinforced protection for the angles (for smaller sizes) or in tube (for larger sizes)
MAKE SURE to mark the shipment with a note: NOT FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES / FOR EXHIBITION ONLY
MAKE SURE the TOTAL VALUE of the SHIPMENT declare in the postal documents doesn’t exceeds 20 EUR. It doesn’t represent the works value! IT IS ONLY FOR CUSTOMS PURPOSES.
* Note: If the participant declares the total shipment value more than 20 EUR and customs clearance in North Macedonia applied - it should be covered by the participant, or the works will be returned back on participant’s expense.
SELECTION and JURYING
Selector & Curator of the OSTEN BIENIIAL of DRAWING Skopje 2022 is Kornelija KONESKA and she:
Three-members INTERNATIONAL JURY of the OSTEN BIENIIAL of DRAWING Skopje 2022:
- Makes a list of artists (SELECTED ARTISTS) who will be exhibited in the Biennial’s official exhibition and will be presented with one reproduction in the Biennial’s catalog
- Makes a DRAFT-LIST of Biennial’s FINALISTS to be proposed to the International Jury
- Decides which works of the SELECTED ARTIST will be exhibited in the Biennial's official exhibition.
AWARDS by the ASSEMBLY of Ambassadors of OSTEN
- Decides about the artworks by the SELECTED ARTISTS that will be reproduced in the Biennial’s catalog
- Makes the FINAL LIST of the Biennial’s FINALISTS
- Decides about the AWARDS by the JURY envisages by the Organizer
GRAND PRIX FOR LIFE ACHIEVEMENT
WORLD CULTURAL HERITAGE AWARD
SPECIAL GRAND PRIX
AWARDS by the INTERNATIONAL JURY
5 FIRST AWARDS (1000$ / each)
3 SPECIAL AWARDS
AWARDS by the OSTEN BOARD
5 GOLDEN OSTEN AWARDS
5 OSTEN AWARDS
OSTEN’s SPECIAL AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
WAVA (World Association of Visual Arts) AWARDS
PRESENTATION on the OSTEN BIENIIAL of DRAWING Skopje 2022
PREVIEW PROGRAM 31 May 2021 – 31 May 2022 (at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
OFFICIAL PROGRAM 1 September 2022 – 28 February 2023 (at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
OFFICIAL EXHIBITION 28 February – 31 Mart 2023 (at the National Gallery of the Republic of North Macedonia)
CONTINUAL INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION
OSTEN BIENIIAL of DRAWING Skopje 2022 - CATALOG
receive a copy of the catalog by postal mail
can order the catalog for reduced price of 40 EUR
(shipping costs included) via the PRE-ORDER FORM - HERE >>>
The regular price of the catalog - after the catalog is published - is 50 EUR
(shipping costs included)
IMPORTANT DEADLINES – DON’T MISS THEM!!!
ONLINE APPLICATION | 31 May 2021 – 31 May 2022
PREVIEW PROGRAM | 31 May – 31 May 2022 (at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
SELECTION | June 2022
ANNOUNCEMENT of the SELECTED ARTISTS | 30 June 2022 latest
SUBMISSION of the ORIGINAL ARTWORKS by SELECTED ARTISTS via postal mail | 15 August 2022
JURYING | August 2022
ANNOUNCEMENT of the FINALISTS and AWARDED ARTISTS | September 2022
OFFICIAL PROGRAM | 1 September 2022 – 28 February 2023 (at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
OFFICIAL EXHIBITION | February / Mart 2023 (The date of the awards presentation ceremony TBD)
FOR REGULAR INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPATION the ARTISTS SHOULD
STEP 1.: SUBMIT the INDIVIDUAL ONLINЕ APPLICATION FORM - HERE >>>
STEP 2.: PAY the PARTICIPATION FEE (50 EUR) - HERE >>>
FOR REGULAR GROUP PARTICIPATION the ARTISTS SHOULD
STEP 1.: SUBMIT the GROUP ONLINЕ APPLICATION FORM - HERE >>>
STEP 2.: PAY the PARTICIPATION FEE (90 EUR) - HERE >>>