OSTEN BIENNIAL Skopje 2024
OSTEN BIENNIAL (organized by OSTEN Skopje, North Macedonia) is an event open to everything that is new and is much more comprehensive than the traditional one, giving priority to works that break the old and worn-out art matrices, works that have a specific artist's mark or hint at an attempt for stepping outside the established academic rules, into the free space of creation. The Biennial challenges artists to push conventional boundaries, both in terms of the use of techniques, tools and media, and in terms of creative freedom of expression. So - feel free to submit your most innovative and creative works, regardless of form, technique or medium. All are welcome: paintings, drawings, prints, objects, installations, art-videos, multimedia art... because we believe that the IDEA is primary, and the performance is a means of expression.
Drawing remains to be the honesty in art
… (Salvador Dali)
The OSTEN BIENNIAL offers the opportunity for artists aged 18+ to participate in two categories:
(up to 7 artists), where the group can register with:
JOINT CONCEPT (with separate works by group members united around the concept)
JOINT WORK (one work created by all group members with group authorship)
* For groups over 7 artists - in separate communication with the Organizer.
The possibility of group participation is our contribution to encouraging collaboration between artists.
CONDITIONS for PARTICIPATION
For REGULAR PARTICIPATION
the artist should:
- Submit the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM along with a short bio and portrait photo (for promotional activities of the Biennial)
- APPLY WITH (up to five) WORKS created between 2020-2024 (the works that consist of more parts – diptych, triptych, polyptych – are to be consider as one work).
- ATTACH DIGITAL IMAGES of the work/s, as an integral part of the online application (obligatory full photo of the work/s + optional details) in .jpg .png or .tiff format (300dpi), maximum 2MB/photo.
* Keep in mind the FORMAT OF THE PHOTOS, as they will be used for the catalog of the Biennial, if selected.
* By sending the ONLINE APPLICATION, the artist agrees that the organizer will use, exhibit, study and publish her/his work/s for the needs of the OSTEN BIENNIAL and the OSTEN Museum.
* The SELECTED WORK (exhibited at the official exhibition and presented in the catalog) by the AWARDED ARTISTS and FINALISTS shall remain within the collection of OSTEN Museum, and the donation of the other submitted works to the collection of the OSTEN Museum is optional.
ONLINE APPLICATION DEADLINE – 31 March 2024
At this stage artists should not send the original works. Only FINALISTS will be informed to send their original works after the selection process.
PARTICIPATION FEE for the OSTEN BIENNIAL Skopje 2024 is:
for INDIVIDUALS | 120 EUR
Participation fee can be paid:
Via the LINKS BELOW
Via BANK TRANSFER
by using the following bank details:
Beneficiary: OSTEN ART SKOPJE
Address: NIKOLA KQUSEV BR.16 CENTAR, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
Bank details: IBAN: MK07210701001011812 | SWIFT/BIC: TUTNMK22
Bank address: NLB A.D. SKOPJE, Mother Theresa 1, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
If you chose bank transfer please be aware that additional costs (bank fees) can apply, and they should be covered by the participant.
For regular participation OSTEN ART should receive 55 EUR / 120 EUR NET!!!
SELECTION and JURYING
SELECTOR & CURATOR of the OSTEN BIENIIAL Skopje 2024 is Kornelija KONESKA and she:
- Makes a short list of SELECTED ARTISTS who will be presented within the Biennial’s catalog
- Draws up a list of FINALISTS who will be notified to send by postal mail the original works for presentation in front of the THREE-MEMBER INTERNATIONAL JURY (TBD), which
- Decides which of the submitted works by the FINALISTS will be exhibited at the Biennial's official exhibition and reproduced in the Biennial's catalog, and
- Decides on the JURY AWARDS envisaged by the Organizer
SELECTION – May 2024
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SELECTED ARTISTS and FINALISTS – 31 May 2024
JURY – September 2024
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS – 30 September 2024
MAILING the ORIGINAL WORKS (only for the FINALISTS)
should send all their ONLINE SUBMITTED WORKS
by postal mail.
IMPORTANT!!! The works that do not correspond to the online submitted works - will be rejected.
8. Udarna Brigade 2, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia
INSTRUCTIONS for mailing the works:
MAKE SURE to declare on the package: NOT FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES / FOR EXHIBITION ONLY
MAKE SURE the TOTAL VALUE of the shipment declared in the documents doesn’t exceed 20 EUR.
- The transportation of the works is to be completely organized by the artists (including costs)
- The organizer does not assume any responsibility in case of damage or loss of the works
- On the back of each work should be written: Name and surname of the artist, the title of the work, year of creation, technique/medium, size of the work (H x W x L) - according to the application form
- The works should be sent unframed and properly packed according to their dimensions: in cardboard packaging with reinforced protection for the corners (for smaller sizes), in a tube (for larger sizes), or in wooden boxes (for objects and installations)
It doesn’t represent the value of the works! IT IS ONLY FOR CUSTOMS PURPOSES.
If the participant declares the total shipment value is more than 20 EUR and costs for customs clearance in North Macedonia applied - it should be covered by the participant, or the works will be returned back on the participant’s expense.
Deadline for ARRIVAL of the works - July 31, 2024
After the official Biennial’s exhibition ends, the artists who decided to take back the sent works should organize their transportation. The deadline for taking back the works will be defined in addition according to the dates of the exhibition, and after the deadline would not be possible for the works to be picked up. Transportation providers that operate the best in North Macedonia: DHL, UPS, FedEx, or other transportation companies on the artist’s responsibility.
AWARDS decided by the Ambassadors of OSTEN
GRAND PRIX FOR LIFE ACHIEVEMENT
WORLD CULTURAL HERITAGE AWARD
SPECIAL GRAND PRIX
AWARDS decided by the INTERNATIONAL JURY
3 FIRST AWARDS (with money prize of 1000$/each)
3 SPECIAL AWARDS
3 SPECIAL RECOGNITIONS
AWARDS decided by the OSTEN BOARD
5 GOLDEN OSTEN AWARDS
5 OSTEN AWARDS
OSTEN’s SPECIAL AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
AWARDS in collaboration with the WAVA (World Association of Visual Arts)
PRESENTATION of the OSTEN BIENIIAL Skopje 2024
PREVIEW PROGRAM May 2023 - September 2024
(solo and group presentations at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
OFFICIAL PROGRAM October 2024 - February 2025
(at the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
OFFICIAL EXHIBITION February - March 2025
(at the National Gallery of RNM)
+continuous local and international promotion…
CATALOG of the OSTEN BIENIIAL Skopje 2024
AWARDED ARTISTS, FINALISTS & SELECTED ARTISTS will be presented with one reproduction in the CATALOG of the OSTEN BIENNIAL Skopje 2024
AWARD-WINNING ARTISTS receive a free copy of the catalog by postal mail
OTHER PARTICIPANTS will be able to order the catalog at a friendly price of 39 EUR
(postage included) by PRE-ORDERING - HERE>>>
The REGULAR PRICE of the catalog (after the catalog is published) will be 49 EUR
IMPORTANT DEADLINES – DON’T MISS THEM!!!
ONLINE APPLICATION |
31 March 2023 – 31 March 2024
PREVIEW PROGRAM (in the OSTEN Gallery Skopje)
| May 2023 – September 2024
| May 2024
ANNOUNCEMENT of the SELECTED ARTISTS and FINALISTS
| no later than 31 May 2024
MAILING of the ORIGINAL WORKS (for the FINALISTS ONLY)
| 31 July 2024
| September 2024
ANNOUNCEMENT of the AWARDED ARTISTS
| no later than 30 September 2024
(in the OSTEN Gallery Skopje) | October 2024 – February 2025
OFFICIAL EXHIBITION and AWARDS PRESENTATION
| February – March 2025
FOR REGULAR INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPATION the ARTISTS SHOULD
STEP 1.: SUBMIT the INDIVIDUAL ONLINЕ APPLICATION FORM - HERE >>>
STEP 2.: PAY the PARTICIPATION FEE (55 EUR) - HERE >>>
FOR REGULAR GROUP PARTICIPATION the ARTISTS SHOULD
STEP 1.: SUBMIT the GROUP ONLINЕ APPLICATION FORM - HERE >>>
STEP 2.: PAY the PARTICIPATION FEE (120 EUR) - HERE >>>